Possibilities of using chemical products for the protection of Rhododendron sp. against Phytophthora plurivora
KORZENIOWSKI M., PhD
Bayer CropScience, Poland
CHMIELOWIEC-KORZENIOWSKA A., PhD
University of Life Sciences in Lublin, Akademicka 13, 20-033 Lublin, Poland
TERESHCHENKO Ya., YARESHCHENKO A., PhDs
Institute of Horticulture, NAAS of Ukraine, 03027, Kyiv-27, 23, Sadova st., e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com
Considering the continuous intensification of production of ornamental plants (Rhododendron sp.), losses caused by species from genus Phytophthora, and limited possibilities of chemical protection, research was undertaken for the purpose of development of effective chemical methods of protection of rhododendron against Phytophthora with consideration of the way of their application. The objective of this study was the assessment of the usefulness of seven fungicides in the protection of rhododendron against Phytophthora plurivora. The research was conducted on rhododendron of Nova Zembla cultivar (Rhododendron ‘Nova Zembla’) in the University of Life Sciences in Lublin, Poland.
Under laboratory conditions, the activity of the tested products was assessed based on the growth of P. plurivora on agar containing fungicides, and the size of necrosis of inoculated rhododendron leaves. In greenhouse tests, the growth and degree of infestation of plants planted in infested substrate was evaluated.
The research showed that the introduction to the agar of 1 µg/ml of active substances of Infinito 687.5 S.C. and Previcur Energy 840 SL limited growth of P. plurivora. Complete inhibition of its development was observed after the application of Infinito 687.5 S.C. and Acrobat MZ 69 WG at a concentration of 10 µg/ml, and Previcur Energy 840 SL and Mildex 711.9 WG at the highest concentration of 100 µg/ml.
Irrespective of concentration, the applied products Acrobat MZ 69 WG and Infinito 686.5 SC after four and six days of incubation protected rhododendron leaves against P. plurivora. Mildex 711.9 WG and Previcur Energy 840 SL inhibited the development of phytophthorosis at concentrations of 0.15 % and 0.2 %.
Differences were evidenced in the efficiency of the analysed agents depending on the application method. The height of experimental rhododendrons was considerably greater in comparison to control plants only in the case of agents applied in the form of spraying. A stimulating effect on the number of developed leaves was observed in the group of plants watered with Previcur Energy 840 SL.
Key words: Phytophthora plurivora, rhododendron, chemical agents
1. Benson D. M. (1980). Chemical control of Rhododendron dieback caused by Phytophthora heveae. Plant Dis., 64(7), 684-686.
2. Brasier C. M. (2008). The biosecurity threat to the UK and global environment from international trade plants. Plant Pathol., 57, 792-08.
3. Elliott M., Shamoun S. F., Sumampong G. (2015). Effects of systemic and contact fungicides on life stages and symptom expression of Phytophthora ramorum in vitro and in planta. Crop Protect., 67, 136-144.
4. Erwin D. C., Ribeiro O. K. (1996). Phytophthora diseases worldwide. APS Press. St. Paul, Minnesota.
5. Géheskqire B., Maes M., Heungens K. Risk for resistance in Phythophtora ramonum. Materiały konferencyjne COST-FPS Action FP0801- 2nd Working Groups Meeting (WG3 and WG4) Algarve, 10-12 September 2009. 26.
6. Korzeniowski M., Orlikowski L. B., (2008). Ochrona różanecznika prze fytoftorozą (Phytophthora spp.) środkami zawierającymi fosetyl glinowy, propamokarb i fenamidon. Zesz. Probl. Post. Nauk Rol., 529, 35-39.
7. Lindermann R. G., Davis A. E. (2008). Evaluation of chemical agents for control of Phytophthora ramorum and other species of Phytophthora on nursery crops. Plant Health Progress. Doi: 10.1094/PHP-2008-0211-01-RS.
8. Muszyńska D., Orlikowski L. B. (2010). Wykorzystanie propamokarbu z fosetylem glinowym w ochronie cyprysika i pelargonii przed Phytophthora cinnamomi i Pythium ultimum. Zesz. Probl. Post. Nauk Rol., 554, 113-118.
9. Orlikowski L. B. (1999). Selective medium for the evaluation of biocontrol agents efficacy in the control of soil−borne pathogens. Bull. Pol. Acad. Sci., Biol. Sci., 47(2−4), 167-172.
10. Orlikowski L. B. (2004). Chemical control of rhododendron twig blight caused by Phytophthora ramorum. J. Plant Prot. Res., 44, 41-46.
11. Orlikowski L.B., Korzeniowski M. (2007). Ocena skuteczności środka Previcur Energy 840 SL w ochronie różanecznika przed Phythophtora citricola. Raport z badań. Mat. Niepublikowane.
12. Orlikowski L. B., Szkuta G. (2002). Dieback of pieris caused by Phytophthora citrophthora. Acta Mycol., 36, 251-256.